

Willa's birthday, being only two days after Christmas, presents a challenge. The weather is unpredictable, schedules are full, budgets are tight, and everybody has had their fill of celebrating. So we decided on an unconventional plan to hold a small get-together on December 27th, and throw a big half-birthday party on June 27th each year. We kicked off this tradition Saturday, by hosting an intimate dinner at our house followed by birthday cake.The birthday girl donned an adorable white tutu dress with puppies on it, a pink and white striped cardigan with babylegs and her gold tennies.
And even though it was so unnecessary, Willa received some very special gifts. They include two amazing block prints by Chris, a set of Russian Nesting Dolls, several great books, including one I wrote just for her, a set of alpaca finger puppets, a German-engineered pseudo-scooter, a keepsake bracelet and ring that were mine as a baby, and a huge box of hand-me-down comic book characters from Ira.
She stayed up well past her bedtime, playing with her new toys, and practicing walking (she's almost there.)
I get pretty emotional when I think about the past year. It's hard for me to accept that an entire year has gone by, in what seems like the blink of an eye. Learning to be Willa's mom and adjusting to the role have taken both a physical and emotional toll on me that I wasn't quite prepared for. But the love and fulfillment my daughter has brought to my life are beyond my wildest dreams. I am not the same person that I was a year ago. I have realized more about life, love, family, friendships, my own priorities, strengths, and weaknesses, than I ever realized was possible. These lessons have changed my perspective, my attitude, and, well, me.
So here I am, Mom to a toddler! The new-mom-excuse has officially expired. I guess I'm going to have to start acting like I know what I'm doing, and doing like the mother I strive to be. Whoa, the pressure!
2 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY WILLA!! Yay, the big one years old! You sure are growing into a very beautiful little girl.
Happy Birthday Willa! Love the book Cassell....what a sweet idea! xoxo
Post a Comment