Monday, June 29, 2009

A Full-On Half-Birthday

We celebrated Willa's half-birthday on Saturday. (She turned 1.5 on June 27th) Since her real birthday falls 2 days after Christmas, Sean and I fear it will inevitably be overshadowed every year. Not by us, of course, but by the rest of the world. So to make up for our own poor timing, we intend to honor Willa's birth semi-annually, with an unconventional half-birthday bash.
We grilled hotdogs in the backyard, and cooled off in the inflatable pool. Wanda made Green Lizards - frozen cocktails of fresh mint, lime, and vodka, which, by the way, have now trumped the margarita as my favorite summer beverage. Mint and all. Paula made my dad's delicious shell pasta salad. Sean prepared the beans. Sandy made chocolate cake, and my mom provided homemade vanilla ice cream.
How did I contribute, you might be wondering? Scrubbing the house, from floor to ceiling with Mrs. Meyer's All Purpose Cleaner, took up most of my time. Once I started, I just couldn't stop. I don't know if anyone else even noticed how it sparkled or smelled of lemon verbena. But I did. And it was worth it. As you might expect, I also did a little last minute redecorating (future post)because I just can't help myself when I have guests coming over. And for the party decor, I fashioned some Willa themed photo collages for my bare walls and several photo cubes to top the tables.
The party was a lot of fun. It took Willa a while to realize that she was the belle of the ball, but once she did, she made the most of the spotlight. As usual.





























4 comments:

Tara said...

great photos and looks like a great time! sorry we missed it!

Seana said...

These are GREAT photos! Looks like you all had a blast, Willa is getting so big, I love the photo of her leaning over to blow out her candle, HA! And I LOVE how you set up the simple grid of square photos on the wall, very sweet. Willa really is adorable Cassell, we can't wait to see her at the end of July.

Sondra Primeaux said...

So sorry we missed it---so fun! But what gives with ginormous bruise on Willa's face? Did a girlfight break out after too many juicebox pyramids? I can see there was only one little guy there...did Willa catch him smooching another behind the slide? (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Cassell said...

I'm pretty sure that bruise looks worse than it is. No girlfights - she got tripped by the garden hose and body slammed (face slammed) her sippy cup! It's a week old and still changing colors...sad.