Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sarah's Wedding

My cousin, Sarah, got married last weekend. It was the most beautiful wedding, which wasn't any surprise at all. The bride was perfect, gracious and gorgeous, and truly in love with her handsome groom. Willa was the flower girl, which caused quite a bit of anxiety for me, unable to predict how she would do. But I was so flattered and proud, and it was all worth it when she braved the aisle with her cousin Blake, the ring bearer. From the back of the church, I had to fight back tears while I watched my little girl carefully make her way to the front. The realization, while a sweet one, still hit me hard: Someday Willa will be making that walk again, only as the bride in her own wedding. And that time will no doubt come all too soon. The reception was held at my uncle Jimmy's ranch, Yensid, and signified the end of a long project for my brother, Chris, who designed and built it all, from pond-side gazebo to modest (hardly) guesthouse, to guesthouse addition, and finally a recreation house. All the family was together, which hasn't happened in a while. We all mingled and took in the amazing surroundings and pleasant evening. I kept looking down to find Willa, in her magnificent silk dupoini, splayed out in the grass. I love that she's just that kind of girl. And the party went on late into the night. Willa rocked the dance floor with her signature dance moves and brought more tears to my eyes as she asked Sean, "Daddy, will you dance with me?" (So sorry, I must have lost my camera by this point in the evening.) I managed to dance half of a George Straight song with my own handsome groom before I lost my breath, but mostly sat watching it all, very pregnantly from the cushy sofa. We tried our best to keep Willa up for the firework display, which was spectacular! But the poor thing crashed on her daddy's shoulder just before it started. It was such a special and fun night. And I'm so glad Sarah and Mo let us be a part of it.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

WOW....Cassell! Great wedding! I did pics for Jordan last week and that place is GORGEOUS!!

Tara said...

beautiful willa, beautiful family, beautiful place! how fun!